Wednesday, January 12, 2011

video treatment

Video Treatment

The “-ism”:
The -ism I will examine is racism. I plan to show how the media influences peoples thoughts of racism and stereotypes. 

Story: Before 9/11, my knowledge of Muslims was little to none and my fear non-existent. Since the attacks on the World Trade Center Buildings on Sept. 11, 2001, I have been taught to not only live in total suspicion, but have a keen sense of fear for the otherwise peaceful Muslims. It is because of the power of the dominant group (white males) who use the media to mislead us in to believing the stereotype that all Muslims are dangerous to our country. When in fact there has been more terrorism done in this country by white males in the past 25 years, than Muslims have ever done.

Software: Using power point I will show images of villains created by the media verses who we should actually fear, the white males. I will include statistics of white male terrorism, and show media reactions to these crimes. 

Research: I will do research extending from the point Tim Wise brought up in his lecture,  Using the Video the Pathology of Privilege: Racism, White Denial and the Cost of Inequality, on the treatment of Islamic people in America. I will research terrorist crimes by white males and Muslims in the past 25 years. I will examine how the media treated these incidents.  I would like my video to show clear examples of racism through our fear of Islamic people since 9/11. 

Time Line: 
Wed: Create sketch of power point outline
Thurs: Research media clips from terrorist acts and reactions to them
Fri: Create power point rough draft
Sat/ Sun: add pictures and music, post to blog or youtube.

Take Away Message: I want people to understand that the stereotypes that the  media portrays of whom is evil and who is good is an extension of the racial profiling committed by the dominant groups who are blinded by their white privilege.

6 comments:

  1. Often people talk about racism within the Black-White binary. It is important that you are bringing in anti-Muslim racism as that is at a peak in our nation due to 9/11 and the co-called war on terror. I also like the idea of tying in white male mass killers by comparison. This is timely given the shootings in Tucson, AZ. Hopefully visual images will help people to wake up to the problem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to see that you are doing a comparison before 9/11 and after it. I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea! I think that will be a very interesting and telling comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is going to be a great idea! Since 9/11 I think the fight of racism has taken a hard hit because of our "fear" of Muslim people. The world needs to wake up and I think your video sounds like a great way to start the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Showing racial profiling through a Muslim perspective and a time line of terrorism sound engaging. There’s a 20/20 called “Islam: Questions and Answers,” which might give you some ideas and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey!

    I really like your idea about doing racism against Muslims because that is a pretty big topic nowadays. I even know a Muslim from another country that is afraid to come the USA because of these bad prejudices against Muslims.

    ReplyDelete