Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Question G

I first become aware of my class when I was around 8 years old while visiting my grandfather on my mother's side in Florida. We were out to dinner and most every time I had been out to dinner with my parents since I was little my sisters and I had been given a budget of how much we could spend on our food. This never really affected me in a negative way because I always listened to my parents and it was just something that was understood when we went out to eat. However, my grandfather is actually very wealthy so we did not have a budget on our meal because he was paying for it all. I was confused later of why he couldn't just pay for all of our meals and my dad had to explain to me the family differences on my mother's side. Not to go into too much detail about that but I realized then that my family and I were apart of a different class even from my grandfather.

It's interesting to think about now because class is something that we have to deal with every day and probably something that most of us don't think about consciously even though we are confronted with it on a daily basis. From the clothes we wear, to the cars we drive or buses we take, to the food we eat all says something about the class that we belong to.

No comments:

Post a Comment