Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Question M

I believe the root cause of ageism can be linked to our new advances in technology and science, and how they've been used to change our media world and societies. Our world is moving at such a faster pace then we were 50 to even 15 years ago and older people get stereotyped with this symbol of 'slow' or the 'past'. Our society can have a prejudicial attitude towards old people that is completely unwarranted and incorrect at times. I'll admit that there are times when I have been upset driving behind an old person or waiting in line behind an old person and had thoughts why can't this old person just get out of my way. However, I do not consider myself an ageist because I talk with my grandparents on a weekly basis and love to see them whenever I can. I also have helped out at senior citizens homes and talking with older people can truly be fascinating. They've seen, heard, and learned so much in their times and I've always believed that wisdom and experience are our best teachers.

Seeing older people in my community and the discrimination towards them at times can be frustrating because they are being out casted in ways that truly are discrimination. The video Too Old to Work has the common excuses that are given to old people now when they are being let go or are trying to become employed. 'Overqualified', 'too experienced', 'you'll be bored', etc. are some of the reasons that the people in the video explained as reasons they were not hired. I have heard them many times before from older people at the senior citizens homes and from my grandfather when he was let go of his job. It's really ridiculous because its the companies way of saving money because they can pay an entry level job less money then a person who is qualified. So don't get mad at your grocery store baggier person if they're older and going slow because most likely they're there because that's the only job that they can get with the way our society is discriminating them. It was great to see the video Once we were young and know there are groups like Age Concern out there. I had never heard of them but I think they're doing a great thing helping older people who really need the help. Growing old isn't easy; its accompanied by lost loved ones and change in so many ways that I have yet to imagine. Older people deserve help and the very least our respect.

1 comment:

  1. On my economics class, my professor was doing a research about bringing the elderly back into the workforce, and in doing so, we would be able to pay a lot of our dept and get back in track in our economy.

    ReplyDelete